Working Group 2 of Win2005: Weak
decays, CP violation and CKM Conveners: Patricia Ball
(Durham), Christoph Paus (MIT)
Since its first observation in 1964 CP
violation has facinated particlel physicists. The phenomenon has far reaching
consequences, for example it is a necessary component in the baryogenesis of our
universe. The CKM matrix describes CP violation in the weak sector of the
Standard Model. Until the end of the millenium our knowledge of the CKM matrix,
responsible for the description of CP violation in the weak sector of the
Standard Model, was rather limited. For example large CP violation was predicted
for the system of neutral B meson but had not been experimentally observed. By
now a chain of precise measurement has rectified this situation and we are now
in an era of precision CKM physics. So far none of the measurements disagrees
largely with the Standard Model, although there are some interesting indications
and there are new opportunities to come. Meanwhile theory predictions have
become much more precise and new techniques are been developed to extract the
interesting quantities with much reduced uncertainties.
In Working Group 2 of the workshop we want to review the present situation
and discuss new opportunities and their implementation with the main focus on
results and opportunities in B physics, but there are exciting results from Kaon
and Charm physics included as well.
Tuesday 7th June
Session 1 -- Kaon Physics - 90'
(9:00 - 10:30)
- Kaon Physics Theory Overview - Martin Gorbahn, Durham - 20+5
- Summary Talk on Rare Kaon Decays - Milind Diwan, BNL - 25+5
- Summary Talk on CP Violation with Kaons (NA48,KTeV) - Patricia Cenci,
Perugia (NA48 speaker) - 25+5
Session 2 -- Charm Physics -
90' (11:00 -12:30)
- First Results and Prospects in Charm Physics from CLEOAC - Anders Ryd,
Cornell (CLEOAC speaker) - 25+5
- Charm Physics at the B Factories - Fabio Ferrarotto, Rome1 (BaBar speaker)
- CANCELLED -- Charm Physics at CDF - XX (CDF speaker) - 20+5
Session 3 -- Mixing and
Lifetimes - 90' (14:00 - 16:00)
- Theory Overview of B Lifetimes and Mixing - Federico Mescia, Rome -
- Summary of B Mixing and Lifetimes from the B Factories - Eugenio Paoloni,
Pisa (BaBar speaker) - 20'+5'
- B Lifetimes from CDF - Colin Gay, Yale (CDF speaker) - 20'+5'
Session 4 -- Mixing and
Lifetimes - 90' (16:30 - 16:00)
- B Lifetimes from D0 - Claus Buszello, Cavendish Laboratory (D0 speaker) -
- B0/Bs Mixing from D0 - Chris Barnes, Imperial College (D0 speaker) -
- B0/Bs Mixing from CDF - Christoph Paus, MIT (CDF speaker) - 25'+7'
Wednesday 8th June
Session 5 -- Decays and
Spectroscopy - 90' (9:00 - 10:30)
- Theory Overview Rare Decays - Martin Gorbahn, Durham- 20'+5'
- b->sll, b-> s gamma and other rare B Decays from Belle - Tom
Ziegler, Princeton (Belle speaker) - 20'+5'
- Electroweak Penguins and Leptonic Decays from BaBar - Francesco Fabozzi,
Naples (BaBar speaker) - 20'+5'
- Rare Decays at the Hadron Collider (CDF + D0 results) - Frank Lehner,
Zuerich (D0 speaker) - 20'+5'
Session 6 -- Decays and
Spectroscopy - 90' (11:00 - 12:30)
- Recent Bs and LambdaB Decays (CDF + D0 results) - Rick Tesarek, FNAL (CDF
speaker) - 20'+5'
- Hardronic Physics at the B factories: DsJ, X(3872), Pentaquark Searches,
etc - Gianluigi Cibinetto, Ferrara (BaBar speaker) - 20'+5'
- Recent Results on Pentaquarks and X(3872) from Hadron Colliders - Rick
Tesarek, FNAL (CDF speaker) - 15'+5'
- Recent Results in Bc Physics (CDF and D0 results) - Frank Lehner, Zuerich
(D0 speaker) - 15'+5'
Session 7 -- CP Violation - 90' (14:00
- Theory: B -> pipi, New Physics in B-> pi K and Rare K and B Decays -
Felix Schwab, Munich - 20'+5'
- Measurements of the Angle beta both ccbar Ks and Penguin Modes (BaBar +
Belle results) - Emanuele Di Marco, Roma1 (BaBar speaker) - 25'+5'
- Measurements of the Angle alpha: rhorho, rho pi (BaBar + Belle results) -
Georges Vasseur, Saclay (BaBar speaker) - 25'+5'
Session 8 -- CP Violation - 90' (16:00
- CPV in pi pi and Measurements of gamma and 2beta+gamma - Maria Rozanska,
Krakow (Belle speaker) - 30'+10'
- Hadronic Decays of B Mesons: B -> Vector Vector, etc. (BaBar + Belle
results) - Diego Monorchio, Naples (BaBar speaker) - 20'+5'
- Charmless B Decays from Hadron Colliders - Mauro Donega, Geneva (CDF
speaker) - 20'+5'
Friday 10th June
Session 9 -- Semileptonic B Decays -
90' (9:00 - 10:30)
- Theory Overview of Semileptonic Decays - Patricia Ball, Durham - 20'+5'
- Semileptonic B Decays at BaBar - Jan Erik Sundermann, TU Dresden (BaBar
speaker) - 30'+5'
- Semileptonic B Decays at Belle - Isamu Nakamura, KEK (Belle speaker) -
Session 10 -- Future Results - 90'
(11:00 - 12:30)
- Theory Outlook: What would be exciting? - TBA - 15'+5'
- Outlook from CDF/D0 - TBA (CDF speaker) - 20'+5'
- SuperB - Shoji Uno, KEK (Belle speaker) - 20'+5'
- B Physics with LHCb - Johan Blouw, MPI Heidelberg (LHCb speaker) - 20'+5'
Session 11 -- Discussion for
the Summary - 90' (14:00 - 15:30)